New York Giants: Free Agent Targets To Consider
With the recent signing of OC Brett Jones, the New York Giants have added the linemen of the year in the CFL last season. GM Jerry Reese has been very adamant in stating that the team will not be as active as last season in free agency. However; the Giants have many needs and filling these needs can’t be accomplished solely through the draft. Which is why I believe Reese will pursue several free agents this off season; one’s that could provide low investment with high returns. I have compiled a list of 20 possible targets that would not only add depth to the Giants roster; but also talent.
- Orlando Franklin (OG-Denver) 1,386.00: Massive and strong, could be an affordable option
- Akeem Ayers (OLB-New England) 615,762: 4 sacks in 9 games. Size and speed combo
- Ron Parker (S-Kansas City) 645,000: Could easily replace Demps and provide special teams help
- Kendrick Ellis (DT-New York Jets) 797,500: Run stuffer, solid rotational DT.
- Nate Irving (ILB-Denver) 818,813: Played in 8 gms in 2014, could add depth to a weak position
- Rolando McClain (ILB-Dallas) 700,000: Solid 2014, could be Jon Beasons replacement
- Cabe Carimi (OG-Atlanta) 832,500: Could play both guards positions, solid run blocker
- Kenny Britt (WR-St. Louis) 1,375.000: Good size, would complement the Giants WR corp.
- Bruce Carter (OLB-Dallas) 1,544.645: Solid against the run, not a pass rush threat
- Da’Norris Searcy (S-Buffalo) 1,552.106: Equally effective against the pass and the run
- Jeromy Miles (S-Baltimore) 635.000: Good size & could be a bargain for teams interested
- Jarvis Jenkins (DT-Washington) 1,492.667: Another run stuffer, stats don’t indicate true value
- Cliff Matthews (DE-Atlanta) 656.756: Could add depth and versatility
- Torrey Smith (WR-Baltimore) 1,078.392: If Victor Cruz can’t recover, Smith could fill his shoes.
- Chris Hairston (LT-Buffalo) 748.977: Will add depth to the OT position
- Jason Fox (RT-Miami) 635.000: Another depth option, Fox can also play OG if needed
- Brandon Harris (CB-Tennessee) 824.907: Would add depth & special teams help
- Davon House (CB-Green Bay) 720.415: Another young athletic player who could provide depth
- DuJuan Harris (RB-Green Bay) 645.000: Solid & low to the ground runner w/exceptional speed
- Jonathan Dwyer (RB-Arizona) 635.00: Durable & reliable, could be a great depth player
Final Thoughts: As I mentioned above, GM Jerry Reese must use all options to rebuild the talent and depth of this team. The draft is not enough to do so and there is plenty of UFA available that can contribute and not break the bank. So don’t expect to see names such as: Ndamukong Suh, Greg Hardy, Bryan Bulaga, and perhaps Sean Weatherspoon. Reese will certainly tap into this option and although I don’t see Reese signing a big time free agent, I do expect him to bring in a few to help rebuild this team.