Ranking This Years Playoff Defenses 1-12
Defense wins championships in today’s football. A lot of the recent Super Bowl champions had great defenses, Seattle Seahawks, Baltimore Ravens, New York Giants and Pittsburgh Steelers all played good defense. If you have a top defense then you got a good shot of winning. Here how this year’s playoff teams rank:
1. Seattle Seahawks - They are the defending Super Bowl champions. They won last year with the top defense and this year they have the best defense again. They give up the least amount of passing yards to opposing quarterbacks.
2. Detroit Lions - They have a nasty front line. They give up the least amount of rushing yards to opposing teams. The other teams averaged only 69.3 rushing yards per game against the Lions.
3. Denver Broncos - Much like the Lions, the Broncos are good against the run only giving up 79.8 rushing yards a game.
4. Carolina Panthers - The Panthers are a top 10 defense against the pass and the run.
5. Baltimore Ravens - This Ravens defense is almost completely different from the team that won the Super Bowl two years ago, but they still get it done.
6. New England Patriots - The Patriots are tough to pass on with Darrelle Revis and Brandon Browner at the corners.
7. Arizona Cardinals - They are middle of the pack on defense, but they don’t give up a lot of points.
8. Green Bay Packers - If they Packers can sack the quarterback they could be in for a good game. They are led by Clay Matthews who had 11 sacks and Julius Peppers who had 7 sacks.
9. Indianapolis Colts - The Colts defense struggles at times. Their offense might have to keep them in the game
10. Dallas Cowboys - Like the Colts, the defense can get burned sometimes forcing the offense to pick up after them.
11. Pittsburgh Steelers - The Steelers defense knows what it takes to win a Super Bowl. Troy Polamalu, Lawrence Timmons and James Harrison have all played in big playoff games.
12. Cincinnati Bengals - They are near the bottom in opposing passing yards and rushing yards.