New York Giants: 2015 Draft Needs: Defensive Line
Part 2 of this 4 part series, I will address the DL position. The Giants could search for a pass rushing DE in this year’s draft; regardless if they re-sign JPP or through free agency. They need to build talent and depth along the DL. Below are DL prospects that could be available for the Giants in each round, should they decide to go in this direction:
- DE-Alvin Dupree (Kentucky) 6’3/255 Strength, speed and athleticism, pass rushing needs work
- DE-Dante Fowler Jr (Florida) 6’3/270 Fast & physical on the edge. Play maker and disruptive
- DT-Danny Shelton (Washington) 6’1/343 Massive with lots of power, 9 sacks as a DT
- DE-Markus Golden (Missouri) 6’3/260 Golden might have been the reason Ray was productive
- DT-Michael Bennett (Ohio State) 6’2/290 A bit raw in many areas, has an upside
- DT-Arik Armstead (Oregon) 6’7/300 More of a project, could fall into the 3rd round
- DT-Xavier Cooper (Washington State) 6’4/300 Good size & quickness. Plays along the DL
- DE-Mario Edwards Jr (Florida State) 6’3/285 Speed & strength, needs work on pass rush
- DT-Carl Davis (Iowa) 6’5/320 Solid run defender, deceptive quickness for hi size
- DE-Noah Spence (Ohio State) 6’3/255 Speed off the edge, some personal issues
- DE-Cedric Reed (Texas) 6’5/265 A bit of a project, has all the tools
- DT-Rakeem Nunez-Roches (Southern Miss) 6’2/310 Could benefit remaining in college
- DT-Louis Trinca-Pasat (Iowa) 6’2/295 Has pass rushing ability, needs to get stronger overall
- DE-Lynden Trail (Norfolk State) 6’6/260 Very athletic, could be a late round steal
- 3. DT-Travis Raciti (San Jose State) 6’4/295 Needs to get stronger against the run.
- DE-Preston Smith (Mississippi State) 6’5/275 Could be a steal in the later rounds
- DT- Joey Mbu (Houston) 6’3/310 Nice combination of speed and strength, solid late rd pick
- DT-Darius Kilgo (Maryland) 6’2/315 Endless motor, smart player with good pursuit angles
- DT-Derrick Lott (Tennessee-Chattanooga) 6’3/310 Well built frame, moves well for his size.
- DE- C.J Olaniyan (Penn State) 6’3/245 Demonstrated big play ability. Solid late round pick
- DE- Zach Wagenmann (Montana) 6’3/255 Has excellent pass rushing ability. Worth a look
The New York Giants have gradually been lacking in the pass rush. Once a cornerstone in their last 2 Super Bowl Championships; is now in need of talent. All indications are that the Giants will do whatever it takes to re-sign JPP; even if it means to place the franchise tag on him. He is more of a priority than Rolle, based on position of need and also that JPP is 7 years younger. Giants also have high hopes that Moore, Kennard and Wynn can excel under new DC Steve Spagnuolo. Regardless; look for the Giant to explode drafting a DL.