Breaking News
Loading...
Friday 10 April 2015

Troy Polamalu To Retire: The Legacy He Leaves Behind

Troy Polamalu

One of the all time great Steelers and strong safeties has elected to retire after twelve illustrious seasons in the NFL.  While his skills have declined over the last few years, in his prime Polamalu was one of the most feared players in the entire NFL. 

 

Polamalu, a former first round pick out of the University of Southern California, spent his entire twelve-year career with the Steelers.  While with the Steelers he certainly racked up the hardware.  Polamalu was an eight time pro bowler, five time All Pro, two time Super Bowl champion, and the 2010 Associated Press Defensive Player of the Year.   Furthermore, Polamalu was named to the 2000s All-Decade team, chosen by the Hall of Fame Selection Committee.  His final stats include 771 tackles, 32 interceptions, and 12 sacks. 

 

When asked about his decision to retire, Polamalu said "It's all about family, I live here in Pittsburgh now, and since the end of the season I've had a chance to enjoy my family on a level I never had before. It was awesome."  Polamalu elaborated saying, “First of all, I don't care about a legacy. Second of all, I play the game because I enjoy it.”

 

 Troy Polamalu

 

As to what Polamalu will do in retirement, he said, “That also was part of the hesitation. What am I going to do now? I think the best I can do is make up for lost time, and that's with my family. Thank God football has provided me the ability to be able to sit back and see what the options are. But I'll definitely be the best father I can possibly be."

 

With the departure of Polamalu, it is reasonable to assume the Steelers may invest one of their first few picks in a safety in this year’s NFL Draft.    Regardless of how the Steelers elect to invest their draft picks, one thing is for certain, Troy Polamalu will be one tough act to follow. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2013 Football,f1 motorsports,NBA,Premier League All Right Reserved | Share on: Blogger Template Free