Bears Bench Cutler: Fantasy Football Impact
The Chicago Bears benched quarterback Jay Cutler and will start Jimmy Clausen in the team's Week 16 match-up vs. the Lions.
There’s a lot of fantasy ramifications regarding this move and a lot more of an impact with the actual Bears franchise.
Few things to consider:
1.The Bears Offensive Coordinator, Aaron Kromer, was an “off the record” source a few weeks back in which he said the Bears regretted signing Cutler to a long-term extension. Kromer later came out publicly and revealed himself as the source.
2. The Bears signed Cutler to a seven year, $127 million extension this past off-season, with $54 million guaranteed.
3. The Bears have lost their last three games and scored more than 21 points only three times this season.
4. Cutler has scored 15, 28, and 17 fantasy points in his last three games. His six TDs (2 per game) are matched by his six INTs during that span.
5. Jimmy Clausen has appeared in there games this year, completing just one pass in each of those contests.
6. Before this season, Clausen has NOT seen any NFL action since his rookie year with the Panthers in 2010, which was FOUR YEARS AGO. Again, the last time Clausen thew a pass in the regular season was in 2010.
7. The Detroit Lions, the Bears Week 16 opponent, have given up the 6th least fantasy points to opposing Quarterbacks and have yet to give up three passing TDs in a single game.
If you have Matt Forte, Alshon Jeffery, and Martellus Bennett you likely do not have many better options to use in your starting lineups. Forte is still a Top 10 RB (have him ranked 9th) in PPR formats for Week 16. Jeffery is still a Top 20 WR (have him ranked 16th). Bennett is still a Top 5 TE option (ranked #4). Again, if you have any of these three Bears (Forte, Jeffery, or Bennett) chances are you don’t have better options on the bench. But if you are concerned, feel free to send in an Expert Advice Token with your lineup options or call in to FFC Radio on Thursday from 4-6 pm (est) 855-728-7500 to discuss your lineup dilemmas, or hit us up on twitter @BillEnright and @FFChamps.
Good Luck in your Fantasy Football Championships.